|Page (1) of 1 - 10/11/05||email article||print page|
Sony Introduces PCM-D1 Linear PCM Field Recorder At AESState-of-the-art performance combined with "Cool" factor (October 11, 2005)
Sony's PCM-D1 Linear PCM Field Recorder (click picture for larger image)
The PCM-D1 can be used for high-quality recording in an array of applications including live sound, house of worship and theatrical performance, as well as by journalists in the field.
?The PCM-D1s level of quality is matched only by its extraordinary ?cool factor, said Paul Foschino, senior manager for professional audio in Sony Electronics Broadcast and Production Systems Division. ?The body of this portable recorder is fashioned from pure 1mm thick pressed titanium thats several times harder than alumite-treated aluminum. Sound engineers will simply not want to put this unit down.
The new recorder is lightweight, free of all drive mechanisms, equipped with extraordinarily sensitive, built-in condenser microphones, and designed with circuits that process stereo sound with virtually no extraneous noise.
The PCM-D1 features 96K-24 bit recording capability, 4GB internal flash memory, removable Memory Stick Pro high-speed storage and a built-in USB 2.0 port for Macintosh and Windows/PC operating systems.
Additional key features of the PCM-D1 recorder include:
* Built-in condenser microphones in an X - Y configuration with low self-noise, high sensitivity and nearly 30 kHz frequency response
* .WAV recording file format capability
* Analog level meters with LED peak overload indicators
* LCD display with comprehensive recorder status indication and menu selection
* Four AA nickel metal hydride rechargeable batteries and charger (supplied, battery life at 96 kHz of approximately 4.0 hours with rechargeable AA batteries)
* Signal processing functions including SBM, limiter and 200Hz high pass filter
* Weight 18.5 ounces (with batteries)
The Sony PCM-D1 recorder is expected to be available in December at a suggested list price of $2000.
For more detailed product information visit www.sony.com/professional. To find the nearest Sony authorized dealer or service location call 1-800-686-SONY. For additional information please visit Sony Electronics' web site at www.sony.com.
Related Keywords:Sony, Linear PCM Field Recorder, Field Recorder, PCM-D1, mobile recording, Sound engineers, microphones